Markree Castle
A small, family-run castle hotel restored by the 10th generation of the Cooper family after standing derelict following World War II.
104 castles recorded, 3 with a full guide, 1 bookable as castle hotels.
A small, family-run castle hotel restored by the 10th generation of the Cooper family after standing derelict following World War II.
Known as 'the Castle of the Curlews', this Elizabethan-era blockhouse overlooking Lough Arrow was built during the Nine Years' War by Captain John St Barbe to guard the strategic Curlew Mountains pass.
A large rectangular keepless castle built around 1300 by Richard Óg de Burgh, 2nd Earl of Ulster ('the Red Earl'), to secure his newly won territory in south Sligo — regarded as the last of the great Norman castles built in Connacht.
Originally a fortified outpost of the Gaelic McDonagh clan guarding a ford across the River Unsin, it was granted to Cromwellian officer Cornet Edward Cooper in 1663.
Sourced from the National Monuments Service Sites and Monuments Record — ruins, tower houses and earthworks alongside the famous names.